July 19-22, 2022: ESPP & SPP 2022 Joint Conference
The Department of Philosophy "Piero Martinetti" and the University of Milan present the
Third Joint Conference of the European Society for Philosophy and Psychology (ESPP) and its North American partner, the Society for Philosophy and Psychology (SPP)
July 19-22, 2022
This year, from 19-22 July, the Department of Philosophy of the University of Milan will host the 3rd Joint Conference of the European Society for Philosophy and Psychology (ESPP) and its North American partner, the Society for Philosophy and Psychology (SPP). The ESPP (founded in 1992) and the SPP (founded in 1974) are devoted to the furtherance of enquiry relating jointly to the fields of philosophy, psychology, neuroscience and related disciplines. By bringing leading researchers from these fields every year together at their annual conferences in Europe and in North America respectively, the ESPP and the SPP play a key role in facilitating interdisciplinary research in Europe and North America. As such, they also provide an important platform for Phd students, postdocs and researchers at all levels to present and discuss the latest research. This year marks a special year insofar as the ESPP and the SPP will meet together for just their third joint conference, and the first since 2011. Having been selected to host this event, the Department of Philosophy at the University of Milan is looking forward to welcoming researchers from around the world and to engaging in stimulating discussions of the latest research.
The complete program will be posted in due time.
- Hakwan Lau (Riken Center for Brain Science)
- Kathryn Davidson (Harvard)
- Steven Gross (Johns Hopkins) – SPP Presidential Address
- Elisabeth Pacherie (Institut Jean Nicod) – ESPP Presidential Address
- Stanton Prize Lecture (see below)
- Conscious and Unconscious States: Zoltan Dienes (Sussex), Myrto Mylopoulos (Carleton), James Stazicker (King’s College London)
- The Psychological Structure of Agency: Thomas Schack (Bielefeld), Joshua Shepherd (Carleton/Barcelona), Laura Zapparoli (Milano-Bicocca)
- Imagination and Perception: Nadine Dijkstra (University College London), Alon Chasid (Bar-Ilan University), and Susanna Schellenberg (Rutgers)
- Compositionality: Giosue Baggio (Norwegian University of Science and Technology), Valentina Bambini (University School for Advanced Studies), and Markus Werning (Bochum)
The 2022 Stanton Prize
In addition, there will be a keynote address from the Stanton Prize winner, a young scholar in philosophy or psychology who has begun making significant contributions to interdisciplinary research and has been active in SPP.
The 2022 William James Prize
History: At the 1996 annual Business Meeting, SPP membership moved to create an award for graduate student papers accepted for oral presentation in contributed sessions at subsequent annual meetings. The SPP funds up to two awards yearly, with no more than one award per discipline. Awards are €250 paid out of SPP funds, and a certificate. The yearly panel of judges includes the Program Co-Chairs and the President, as well as any other willing SPP officers, executive committee members, or regular members requested by this group. Having a paper accepted for oral presentation in a contributed session alone is not sufficient for receiving an award. At the 1997 meeting, membership moved to rename the award The William James Prize, in light of James’ contributions to both philosophy and psychology. Information on past winners is available on the SPP website.
In order to register, please (1) choose the appropriate payment option and make the payment, and (2) follow this link to fill out the google form: https://forms.gle/QE555p72wMdp52DR9
Please note that in order to complete registration, it is necessary to fill out the google form in addition to paying the appropriate fee.
For informations: https://espp-spp-2022.com/